Wednesday, March 20, 2013

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix Preview

After an exciting race in the damp conditions in Melbourne which was won by Raikkonen, the teams have quickly packed up and moved to their next destination which is Sepang International circuit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.. This is the first of the 5 back-to-back races this season..



Sepang is radically different from Albert Park and is known for its long straights and  rough weather where we can see really high temperatures at point and a tropical storm the next, during the race weekend..

This weekend Pirelli are bringing their new PZero Orange Hard compound tires along with the PZero White Medium compound tires to deal with the rough surface of the track..






Looking forward to this weekend's race this is what people from the F1 paddock have to say,

This is what Pirelli's Motorsport Director Paul Hembery has to say about the race.. "We would describe Sepang as genuinely ‘extreme’, both in terms of weather and track surface. This means that it is one of the most demanding weekends for our tyres that we experience all year. The nomination we have for Malaysia is the same as last year, but the compounds themselves offer more performance and deliberately increased degradation this season. We’d expect three stops again but once more it’s likely to be weather that dominates the action. Even when it isn’t raining, the drivers can expect humidity in the region of 80% and ambient temperatures of more than 30 degrees centigrade.”





Paul Di Resta who finished 7th in last year's race says “You never know what to expect in Malaysia! It could rain, or it could be dry. Temperatures are going to be high, degradation is going to be high, but I think our car is going to suit the warm weather. We’ve had a reasonably strong performance for the last couple of years in Malaysia, so I think we should go there feeling quite optimistic. We have a few days to conquer the jet lag and hopefully be fighting fit. I think it is probably one of the most complete tracks of the season. It was the very first of the new generation tracks and it has nice flowing sections, some slow bits, as well as high-speed chicanes. I think it’s one of the better tracks on the calendar. Along with the next one in Shanghai, it’s one of the tracks I enjoy.”


Winner of the first race Kimi raikkonen says  “Malaysia has been good and bad for me in the past; I’ve had a few bad races there but I’ve also won three times at the circuit including my first Grand Prix victory so it’s nice to go back to where it all began with my first win. For sure I will always remember that my first win came in the Malaysian Grand Prix in 2003. I would not say that circuit is more important for me - it’s not that special for me - but it’s quite a nice place to race at. I like it and the challenge is always at the highest level in the beginning of the year in the heat. It’s also one of those circuits where it usually rains sometime during the weekend. So you have to plan the programme with that possibility, too. It’s a difference place, it’s going to be much hotter there so it’s very difficult to say how the cars will feel, who will be fastest after having just one race. I think we have to do two or three races before we really know who is where and what’s going to happen. It’s probably going to rain again in Malaysia at some point but it will be a different circuit, different conditions. Our car worked well in Australia at least and usually - at least last year - in hot conditions it’s been good for us so hopefully it will turn out to be a good weekend.”


The best of the rookies according to me Jules Bianchi says  
“It has been nice to take a couple of days in Australia to really absorb the experience of my first Formula One race last weekend. There were quite a lot of new things to be faced with, including driving a race of that distance for the first time and bringing together everything that I had learned in the days before. This week I have had the chance to think everything through - what I have learned and where I need to go from here. I had a good debrief with my engineering team and I feel very comfortable, so now I start to think about Malaysia. I’ve done some work in the simulator and I think Sepang is a circuit I’m going to enjoy. I know the challenge it brings in terms of the heat and humidity, so I’m prepared for that. Although my debut went well, there are some areas that I need to work on and where I can improve - as you would expect - so this race we will have a little more time and experience to think about what we need to do to keep pushing forward. I’m hoping for another good performance in the race on Sunday of course.”




Reigning champion Sebastian Vettel says, 
“(Sepang is) an interesting track. After the first section, Turns 5, 6, 7 and 8 are very quick and fun. Turns 11 and 14 are similar - it's difficult to find the apex of those on every lap, especially as the tyres become worn. It's a very rewarding circuit for a driver to win at, as it's such a tough challenge with the heat and high-speed corners. It's rewarding, as it shows you have prepared well over the winter, so I guess my favourite memories are winning in 2010 and 2011. My tip for keeping cool in Malaysia? Don't stress, because you can't run away from the heat”



Martin Whitmarsh, Team Principal at McLaren says 
“Clearly, our performance in Australia last weekend was not up to our high expectations - and we have been working tirelessly to bring additional performance to MP4-28. But the short turnaround between rounds one and two of the championship means that we’ll arrive in Malaysia with less scope to improve our fortunes. This weekend, however, will provide us with additional opportunities to understand our car’s behaviour and to increase our understanding of the package. Nonetheless, the Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix brings its own unique challenges; it’s one of the most physically demanding races of the year - for both the drivers and their machinery - and the race will be tough for all competitors. Both Jenson and Checo have gone well at this circuit in the past, and both put in excellent performances throughout the weekend in Australia, so I’m sure they’ll once again be pushing the car to its limit.”


This grand prix will be Caterham's home race and they will push to their maximum limit to score their first point.. This is what their new driver Charles Pic had to say,
“Malaysia will be the first Caterham F1 Team home race for me and I’m looking forward to what will be a very busy week, but one where I think we’ll see a lot of support and a Grand Prix that really pushes the physical preparations we’ve done over the winter. We have quite a few events that we’re doing in the build-up to the race itself and it’ll be great to meet the Malaysian fans, but once we’re in the car it’s back to work in one of the toughest challenges we have all year. The heat and the humidity make driving 56 laps on Sunday pretty difficult.”


With rain expected during different parts of the weekend we can be sure of an exciting race with the ever changing weather.. Managing tires will be top priority this weekend and we could see a lot of exciting pit-stops..

I expect Red Bull, Ferrari and Lotus to be on top again with Mercedes right on their tail.. McLaren may fall back again as they struggle to find answers on how to improve their car.. Lets wait and find out :)

 4 days until lights out for the start of the second GP of this season :)






No comments:

Post a Comment